Friday, April 23, 2010

Enabling Spending



Oh GO Ahead!

Sometimes I wonder if with all the very personable fashion blogging going on out there, which, don't get me wrong, I THOUROUGHLY enjoy, (but, chestnuts, that's just the point!)- especially the people who keep it real and homegrown - I wonder if we are not enabling eachother to spend more than we need, to fill our closets with more than we can wear! To actually SPEND MORE THAN WE CAN AFFORD. Even if it's just a little more.

I was a member of a twelve step program once. Come to think of it, I was a member of two. Ahem. And they helped me. They truly did. But what I learned a lot about was enabling. And I got to thinking about this this morning, because I have already spent all my disposable income for the month. And there are things I still need, like things for survival and decency.

But there are things I still WANT, too. Like the above green handbag from Lulu's (if you haven't met Lulu yet, I feel sorry for you). A new swimsuit. Some new summer hats. A summer cardigan. Some beige platform wedge sandals. You get the point. Not going to happen this month unless I borrow from next month which I already did last month. Did you follow that (Remember this? "Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday." Or how about this one:

I do my thing and you do your thing.
I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,
And you are not in this world to live up to mine.
You are you, and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, it's beautiful.
If not, it can't be helped.
(Fritz Perls, 1969)

But on the little plaques we all had in our homes, I never saw that last line! Anyway, same era. But I digress...)?

So that's no good, borrowing from next month's cash. But here's the thing, the point I keep trying to get to but keep digressing, when I read all these delightful, adorable, personable, and inspiring blogs you write, I say to myself, like I did this morning, "Oh go ahead and order the platforms, all girls do it. They go over the budge a little. It's JUST THE WAY GIRLS ARE. At least I am not CHARGING it. At least I am paying CASH." That's what the little voice says. And so in summary ladies, I have to wonder if we are all whispering in each other's ear a little, enabling each other to feel a little less bad about spending a little more than we should each month. Hmmm. I wonder. The name of this blog is not without some tongue in cheek reference to addiction.