Tuesday, May 24, 2011

outfit of the week–classic denims and striped tee

gogg 2

People Tree Mae stripe tee £21.95 Ethical Superstore.com

11016190_7139

Signature Fit Shadow wash bootcut denims $89 Talbots

gogg 211016190_7139

A word regarding Talbot’s denim.  They were kind enough to send me a pair to test drive last year – and I just want to say – I have bought 3 pairs since then.  I love them.  I have 2 pairs of flares, light and dark rinse, the boyfriend jeans, and a pair of straight legs which are my favorite.  Buy them snug because they do stretch quite a bit – but if you are like me you would rather have a little stretch than too much scratchy spandex.  Nothing says tacky jeans to me like too much spandex – with jeggings it’s OK – but not with classic jeans.

Anyway this week’s outfit inspiration comes from the following scene in Klute – (Jane Fonda’s costumes were designed by the talented Ann Roth.)

KLUTE15

Let’s get a close up -

KLUTE c

That’s her poor doomed cat in her lap – (don’t you hate it when they do that to you in movies?)  - but he looks a little strange in this picture, no?

Jane Fonda’s character, Bree Daniels, wears this as a “sitting around the flat outfit” – consider that next time your beau comes over and you are thinking about wearing your baggy sweats.  The entire silhouette of the is outfit is slim slim and let me say it again, slim.  So think slim, fitted, neat dark denims.  Your light wash and boyfriend jeans won’t work for this look – and, hey, as long as you are around the house – go barefoot like Bree – it’s cute – just opt for another profession.