Thursday, March 31, 2011

wearing flowers in your hair

Lest my lover should think

My face not as lovely as the flowers

I pin it slanting in my cloud like hair

And ask him to make a comparison

Li Ch’ing-chao

(1084-1151)

hatian_girl_428x269_to_468x312

Beautiful Tahitian Woman in Traditional Headdress photo from Mail Online

If I have lived there long enough, one of the things I remember about a place after I have forgotten people’s names are the regional wildflowers.  As a stranger in a strange land, they are one of the first things that offer me the comfort of familiarity once I see them for the second time. 

seascapes 015

Cyprus is full of yellow wildflower fields right now that feel very familiar to me now that I have been here 5 years.  I know well the place in the sidewalk where I can expect more because that is the exact place they came up last year.

Today I woke up with many worries and missing home, but as I went to walk our youngest dog down between the fields something possessed me and I pinched off a flower and put it in my hair.  I have left it there all day because it made me feel completely different immediately.  I was light and happy and no longer worried.  I wore it to do the shopping and my work and people smiled at me.  I feel just fine now.

Maybe we should wear flowers in our hair more often just to lighten up a bit.   I think we could learn a little something from women of yore -  

I’ll leave you with one of my favorite painters who never failed to notice or delight in the flower in a woman’s hair -

350px-Paul_Gauguin_056

Tahitian Women on Beach,  1891  by Paul Gauguin

Paul_Gauguin_-_Three_Tahitian_Women
Three Tahitian Women, 1896  by Paul Gauguin

And with that beautiful Tahitian woman again -

hatian_girl_428x269_to_468x312

(No wonder Paul went to Tahiti.)

PS  Tradition says if the flower is worn on your left it means you are taken, if on the right then you are single