Sunday, April 3, 2011

sunday night sadness–all I left behind

The following 2 Big Map ”Abandonment” photos are from bridgeandtunnelclub.com and are by Scott and Jennifer

imagesCAFJ85M0

Abandoned Shoes, Pine Street, Manhattan

duck

Rubber Duck, Smith-9th Street Station along the F/G Subway Lines, Brooklyn

 

All I Left Behind  

All I left behind

should come as no surprise

To me since I fell

through the black hole of your eye

Only little things

inconsequential I could say

Of all I left behind with you

along the lost highway

Silver earrings in Wichita

Beaded moccasins in Tonopah

But I had you so

I just let them go

The flannel shirt I wore

to keep me from the cold

When we drove from Boston

all the way to Buffalo

The leather boots I bought

so many miles ago

I took them off to follow you

into the Ohio

Never did my armor feel so thin

Silk was all I had between me and your skin

Like Waterloo

I lost that too

And the gold bracelet with my father’s name inscribed

On the back by the one who loved him all her life

The way I too

could have loved you

The Spanish shawl I put

across the broken shade

Of the lamp that lit the room

That last night near Cour d'Alene

Only little things

inconsequential I could say

Of all I left behind with you

along the lost highway

Of all I left behind

music and lyrics written by Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Kate McGarrigle, Anna McGarrigle

Almo Music Corp/ Poodlebone Music/
Garden Court Music (ASCAP)